Manchester United will face off against Leicester City in a tense top of the table clash at the King Power Stadium. United are currently on a great run both in league as well as in cup competitions. Except for their early exit from the UEFA Champions League against RB Leipzig, United have looked good. Ole’s tricky reds are currently unbeaten in 10 consecutive away games in the top flight, which is a club record in itself. United are currently 3rd on the table, and a win on Boxing Day against Leicester would elevate them to 2nd.
On the other hand, Leicester have somewhat had a similar run like United. Currently 2nd on the table, Brendan Rodgers’ men have a point more than United but have played a game more. Leicester’s home form has been pretty worrying as they have lost 4 out of their 5 home games this season. Whereas United have looked great away from home but have struggled like Leicester at home.
In an interactive session with @leicesterfanz, we discussed several important points regarding this important Boxing Day fixture between Leicester City and Manchester United. Let’s begin the Opposition Talk with @leicesterfanz.
1. How are you feeling going into this fixture?
I personally have mixed feelings going into this tie. Obviously we have just beaten Tottenham 2-0 away from home, and we should have won by more if anything. However our home form has been poor this season and away form has been brilliant, so I’m not too sure what to expect tomorrow.
2. Both Leicester City and Manchester United are currently on a great run and are 2nd and 3rd respectively. Do you think the result in this fixture will play a huge role in either team’s title challenge?
I think with the title Liverpool are way too strong, and no one will get too close to them but I guess you never know, and a big win from either side tomorrow could be crucial.
3. Which United players will Leicester be looking to create more pressure on and why? How would Leicester go about achieving that?
The main United players that our Leicester defenders will be worried about will be Fernandes and rashford mainly. Obviously you have a lot more brilliant quality going forward but for me those 2 stand out the most and I’m sure they will cause us problems tomorrow.
4. Who do you think will Leicester be relying on the most to get the results ?
Well to get a good result we need to defend well, so that could be everyone in the back line and the goal will be to keep your main stars as quiet as we can, so we need a big game from players like Fofana, Justin, Schmeichel etc. But going foward obviously we need Vardy and Maddison to be on point and they need to take their chances if we want to get anything tomorrow.
5. Leicester City have lost 5 games out of their 14 which is the joint highest number of matches lost by any team in the top half of the league. And yet Leicester are 2nd in the league. Do you think not able to get points from loosing situations is a concern for Leicester?
Not at all. If someone told me 10 years ago (when we were in league 1) that we would be sat in 2nd in the league right now then I’d be over the moon and wouldn’t believe it. We have lost some very silly games this season but then again we have beaten some great sides this season (Tottenham 2-0, Man City 5-2) for example, and we have the quality to keep getting those results. We are second for a reason and even though we have put out a few very poor performances this season I’m not too concerned at all. I’m just happy to be a Leicester fan right now.
Also Read : United’s Strikers: A Force to reckon with?
6. Leicester City have lost more Premier League games (19) and conceded more Premier League goals (60) against Manchester United than they have versus any other side in the competition.
Do you think this stat will be in the minds of the manager and the players when get on the pitch? And do you think this will give them more pressure to perform?
I don’t think it will. A lot of those results would have fallen quite a while ago so the main thing going through the teams/ managers head will be the recent form.
7. Leicester’s home form this season hasn’t been great. Loosing 4 out of their 5. What do you think could be the reason for this?
I think the main reason for our home form being that poor is because of when we go away from home, we sit deep and catch them on the counter attack, which has worked so well for us this season (winning 6/7 away in the premier league), but at home teams do that to us, and we really have trouble in breaking teams down when they sit deep and that’s where our poor results come from.
8. What’s your predicted line-up for the game?
9. What’s your score prediction for the game?
I don’t have The best feeling about tomorrow. Personally I think you could batter us, but I’m hoping not and my score prediction is a 2-2 draw, in an exciting game between 2 great sides.
We Thank @leicesterfanz for having time to respond to our questions in a very positive manner. We are all looking forward to a thrilling match. Also, what do you guys think would the scoreline read after 90mins? Predict the score and let us know.
Until then join our Facebook Group and become one of the founding members of one of the best Manchester United Fan Communities
Youth Watchout – A look into the promising young players in our academy.
MUWomen – A look into Manchester United’s Women team players.
Also, follow us on our social media platforms and become a part of The Utd Arena community.
All three platforms cover different content so that you don’t see the same thing everywhere!