Manchester United host Aston Villa as they continue to be hot on the heels of Liverpool while chasing the Premier League title. Manchester United are 3 points off the top of the table with a game in hand. And they will be looking for a solid display as they strive to find consistency.
Manchester United are now unbeaten in 9 games in the Premier League. Their last defeat the being the 1-0 loss against Arsenal in November. The Red Devils come into this game on the back of 1-0 victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers
Aston Villa have been doing great in the league securing 26 points from 14 games. They are unbeaten in their last 5 league games, which included an impressive 1-1 draw against Chelsea. And a 3-0 victory against Crystal Palace despite being reduced to 10 men after Tyrone Mings was sent off.
Here is all the essential information you need to know ahead of the match:
Marcus Rashford and Aaron Wan-Bissaka both returned from their knocks and started against Wolverhampton Wanderers. Victor Lindelof is nursing a back injury and is unlikely to be involved in this match. No other injuries for Manchester United.
Tyrone Mings to return from his one match ban after being sent off against Crystal Palace. Ross Barkley likely to return from the injury he sustained in late November. Egyptian winger Trezeguet is out with an injury and Brazillian target man Wesley is unfit and unlikely to be involved.
- Manchester United and Aston Villa face each other for the first time in an official match. They played a pre-season friendly which Aston Villa won 1-0 courtesy of an Ollie Watkins goal. Manchester United thrashed Villa 3-0 at Villa Park on July 10th 2020 after the league was restarted post-lockdown.
- Bruno Fernandes, Mason Greenwood, Paul Pogba scored in the 3-0 victory. That victory was a part of the unbeaten streak that Man Utd went on which led them to finish the season in the 3rd place.
- Man Utd have scored atleast 2 goals in 6 of the last 7 games against Aston Villa.
- Man Utd are unbeaten in the last 7 home games against Aston Villa in all competitions.
- Aston Villa have scored in every away game in the Premier League.
- Man Utd are undefeated against Aston Villa in their last 16 outings.
- Aston Villa last defeated Man Utd in December 2009 when Gabriel Agbonlahor scored the winner for Villa in a 1-0 victory.
Thoughts on the game:
Manchester United are on a good run of form. And would like to continue the same as they prepare to mount a serious title challenge. The overall mood would obviously be positive as they finish the calendar year in 2nd place,very much in the reckoning for the title.
Aston Villa have been in very good form of late. After suffering 2 defeats in a row,Aston Villa are unbeaten in their last 5 games.They have 26 points with 2 games in hand and are challenging for a top 4 spot. This is a drastic turn around after barely escaping relegation last season.
Aston Villa have been great going forward as well as organized at the back. Jack Grealish, John McGinn are their key players. Ollie Watkins hasn’t scored a goal in his last 7 premier league games but is a threat going forward. Anwar El-Ghazi has been in brilliant form scoring in all of the last 5 games. Tyrone Mings has been great at the back and they also have a secure pair of gloves with Emiliano Martinez between the sticks.
It would be a riveting contest for Manchester United who have struggled at the back this season. The clean sheet should be a huge confidence booster for them. It will be a challenge for Manchester United to contain Jack Grealish and Co.
A very evenly poised game given the current form of both the teams. We can expect a tightly fought encounter. What do you think the final scoreline would be? Do let us know your thoughts.
Until then join our Facebook Group and become one of the founding members of one of the best Manchester United Fan Communities
Youth Watchout – A look into the promising young players in our academy.
MUWomen – A look into Manchester United’s Women team players.
Also, follow us on our social media platforms and become a part of The Utd Arena community.
All three platforms cover different content so that you don’t see the same thing everywhere!